The title may sound clickbaity, but it’s not. The survival rate for passengers in an aircraft crash ranges from 49 percent to 69 percent, depending on the seat location. Compared to that, the click-through rate (CTR) for a banner ad is less than 0.1%. One of the reasons for this is that businesses still haven’t figured out banner ads completely.
The possible causes for failure of banner ads include irrelevance, distraction, lack of creativity or information in ads, misplacement of ads, or a lack of optimization for mobile and other devices. But, that doesn’t necessarily translate into your ads not being noticed.
Even though users might not click on the ad, they might notice it and retain the information about the product displayed. So, the click-through rate is neither the best nor the only parameter to understand the effectiveness of your ads. Instead, you can employ various other advanced tools of market research such as eye-tracking software to measure the true impact of their banner ads.
How to gauge the true impact of banner ads with eye-tracking technology
Eye-tracking software can be an excellent online market tool to understand whether your banner ad is a hit or a miss. Eye-tracking involves analyzing gaze and motion of sight of individuals to monitor when, where, and what they are looking at, and for how long. This helps analyze:
- whether an individual looked at the ad or not,
- If yes, how much time they spent on the ad, and,
- which areas of the ad the individual spent most of their focus on.
The eye-tracking software uses artificial intelligence to create a heat map of the various focus points of the gaze of the user. Here’s a look at different parameters eye-tracking software can help optimize:
- Position of the ad: The positioning of the ad is an important aspect in determining whether your ad will get noticed or not. Eye-tracking technology provides insights about the key areas where individuals spend most of their time looking at through their digital devices. Finding the right place for the ad can be crucial in determining its success or failure. Eye-tracking technology can provide real-time insights about the areas individuals focus their attention on, so that ads can be displayed in those regions, thereby improving the visibility of the ad.
- Information provided in the ad: Not every area of the ad gets equal attention. Some individuals focus on information such as the price of the product, whereas some are drawn to the banner ad if it displays a product of their favourite brand, while some other individuals are interested in the ad due to the colours or slogans and catchphrases used.
Eye-tracking technology can provide actionable insights regarding all these parameters accurately in the form of heat maps and help understand what guides human visual attention. Businesses can easily get information regarding what clicks with the audience and what doesn’t. They can, thus, create future ads that focus on the preferences of the users and display that information prominently in the ad. This can help draw and retain the customers’ attention on the ad.
Just because your banner ads aren’t being clicked, it doesn’t mean that your ads have low visibility amongst the users. However, it would be better to get an exact picture of the impressions your ad makes. And eye-tracking software can help you do exactly that! With the insights gained through eye-tracking, organizations can rethink their approach to create ads that can drive user attention. Even if the click-through rate doesn’t increase significantly, businesses will be aware of the attention their ads are getting, thanks to eye-tracking technology.